Max Verstappen signs new contract with Red Bull until 2030
Read more
IOL
iol.co.za

Max Verstappen signs new contract with Red Bull until 2030

Red Bull team announced on Thursday that four-time Formula 1 World Champion Max Verstappen has signed a new contract with the team, valid until the end of 2030, thereby dispelling rumors about his future in the sport.

Verstappen shared his thoughts, noting that the team is like a 'second family' to him, and he feels very comfortable there. He added that the successes achieved together were 'simply magnificent,' using his signature phrase.

Despite Verstappen being one of the most successful Formula 1 drivers of all time, having won four consecutive titles since 2021, the results this season have been more challenging. The twenty-eight-year-old driver failed to cross the finish line in the first half of the year and ranks sixth in the drivers' championship.

The uncompetitiveness of the Red Bull car this year led many to speculate that the volatile Dutchman might move to another team or even leave Formula 1 entirely. Verstappen told reporters that he was 'closer to retirement than to moving to another team,' and did not hide his disappointment regarding the new rules introduced this season.

During a press conference in the Red Bull trailer, Verstappen stated: 'I must say, after the first few races I told (the team principal) Laurent Mekies: 'don't come to me with any questions about the future because I don't even know if I want to stay'.' He emphasized his love for racing and noted that they are working slowly to improve the situation, accepting the current circumstances and striving to make the best of it.

Verstappen expressed a desire to restore winning traditions to the team. 'We have the best people, and I am happy to continue working with everyone to get back to the top,' he said.

Mekies highly praised the Dutchman's 'uncompromising competitiveness, relentless determination, and courage to challenge established norms.' He told reporters: 'What can I say, guys, this is a phenomenal piece of news, undoubtedly for Red Bull Racing, I can say for Formula 1, and even more globally for the entire sport.' Mekies thanked Verstappen for the trust shown and stressed that the responsibility now lies with Red Bull—to provide a competitive car for its star driver in the coming years.

This news came amid active preparations for Verstappen's home race, the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, and will delight thousands of his fans in orange attire. Organizers decided not to continue the races in Zandvoort partially due to uncertainty about Verstappen's future, given his significance to the event's popularity.

Verstappen previously dominated at his home track, winning the first three rounds since its resumption in 2021. However, since then, he has struggled against McLaren on his home soil, as Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri, the Papaya drivers, won the last two races. Verstappen noted: 'Announcing this during the last Grand Prix in Zandvoort is a wonderful moment for me. I hope we can arrange a special farewell for the fans at the last race.'

Securing Verstappen's contract is also a big boost for Red Bull, which is competing with Mercedes, Ferrari, and McLaren for the Constructors' Championship.

The Dutchman has always been mentioned in discussions about the greatest driver of all time and seemed destined for success from birth. His Dutch father, Joost, participated in eight seasons of Formula 1, and his mother, Sophie Kumpen, was a Belgian karting champion. He started karting in 2005 and collected titles as he advanced through classes, finishing the 2013 season with a record season. When he debuted in racing for Toro Rosso at the start of the 2015 season in Australia, he became the youngest Formula 1 driver by almost two years. He was only 17 years, 5 months, and 15 days old, and participated in 14 Grand Prix before getting his driver's license on his eighteenth birthday.

Popular